Skip to main content

Sugar

There's a theory that sugar "feeds" tumors, but I asked a few doctors and they said there's no credible evidence to support this.  Still, I know I will eat way too many sweets if I'm not disciplined, and the fact that I love to bake doesn't help.
When I started chemotherapy I decided to make a real effort to reduce the amount of sugar--added and natural--that I put into my body every day.  I figured it couldn't hurt, and it might help.  I read about the book Sugar Detox Me by Summer Rayne Oakes and ordered a copy from Powell's.  My expectations were low--I assumed it would be another quacky guide, despite the author's degrees in Environmental Sciences and Entomology--so I was pleasantly surprised to find it contained delicious-looking dishes made from easy to follow, and easy to execute, recipes.  Most of the recipes are vegetarian, but some feature chicken or sausage, and many feature eggs.  
Sugar Detox Me has handy Meal Maps.  The author explains, "Meal Maps are basic plans that outline ingredients for recipes.  They chart how those ingredients can be used not only for one recipe but for multiple meals."  The book is also chock full of information on sugar content in foods, and shopping lists are provided.  For those concerned that they might be addicted to sugar, there's the Yale Food Addiction Scale.
I've pasted two pics below.  There's one of the cover, of course, and another of a recipe.  As you can see, the dishes are inviting.  
I have lots of food allergies, so not all of the recipes are accessible to me.  I tried to contact the author through Twitter to ask if there are workable substitutions for coconut flour and almond flour, but I didn't hear back.  It could be that my Twitter settings aren't right and Ms. Oakes never saw the message, though.  Or, perhaps she has moved on to something else.  Here Twitter page suggests that she is way into plants now.



I have succeeded in reducing my sugar intake, and Ms. Oakes was right about the cravings peaking and then going away.  Now when I eat something sweet, the flavor is more intense, and I consider that a positive outcome.
I haven't stopped loving sugar, I just spend less time with it.